Saturday 24 September 2016

My First Week - Lectures

My First Week - Lectures


Date Published: 24/09/2016
Date Events Happened: 19/09/2016,20/09/2016,22/09/2016.

Having your first lecture at 5pm is difficult, especially finding out the coffee shops are shut when you're craving coffee. 

Have you ever tried to fit around 50 students comfortably, in a room meant for 30, at most? We were not comfortable. Even though it was only for twenty minutes (I think), there was hardly any space to move. It was uncomfortably hot and claustrophobic. 

Seeing the guys from Verbal Discharge was great, especially as they spoke about what to do and what not to do in a semi serious discussion. I'm just waiting until Monday to hear about the Student Mentor program. 

Once the class split into two groups, I could breathe clearly again. I didn't feel as claustrophobic.
But I was bored going through the module handbook. I know we had to go through it, but there were so many words. Words, Words, Words. 

I craved a break and that was when I found out the coffee shops were shut. The only place that served coffee that was open, was Subway. So I bought a Subway coffee. Thinking I'll have to arrive early on Monday, so I can buy myself a large cappuccino in the coffee shop before the lecture starts. 

But once our break was over, that was when we got to write. It was just off of a picture, but I went straight to Gods and Goddesses. It wasn't wrong to do, it was just where my muse took me.

We even got to finish early, although the bus didn't leave until an hour after we finished, which sucked as we were all tired. 

Tuesday had nicer lecture times and there was enough space in the class, although the desks were a little small.
We went over the module handbook, then went off to do a free write and research a story. I chose the Birth of Athena, and there are different variations to compare the other to. 

After listening to Cinderella, it was the end of the lecture, where I decided I was going to wait around and do Tae Kwon Do, until I felt sick and decided to rest.

Thursday, my final lecture of the week. Never go into town and buy stuff before a lecture. I'll happily walk down the stairs, but not up to the eighth floor. With any luck, we'll get a better room. Like Monday, the room was made for 25 students and we had to cram 41 in there. Very claustrophobic, to the point Simon took a picture to prove we couldn't fit in this room. 
So our lecture was cut short after reading the module handbook and one task, so Simon could embark on the quest to find a different room for next week. 

All in all, it's been a very easy, albeit claustrophobic week of lectures. I know the work is only going to get tougher from here.

-Emma-

No comments:

Post a Comment